Services » Housing & Community

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a new social housing support, operated by Cork City Council, replacing rent supplement for those with a long term housing need in Cork City.  Short Term rent supplement will continue to be managed by the Department of Social Protection. Anyone who has been approved for social housing support with Cork City Council may be eligible for HAP.  If you qualify for HAP you must find your own private rented accommodation.  The Local Authority will pay your landlord directly up to the applicable rent cap and you will pay a rent to the local authority under the differential rent scheme, based on your weekely household income.

How do I apply?

All applicants for HAP in Cork City must have an open and up to date social housing application with Cork City Council.

  • If you have not been assessed by Cork City Council for social housing supports                         


  • If your circumstances have changed since you were last assessed by Cork City Council.

You must contact the Allocations Section to update your application before applying for HAP. HAP application forms for eligible applicants can be collected in person at City Hall and also requested by phone or email.

HAP Information and Advisory Service

Advice clinics on how to apply will run in the Atrium City Hall.  10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday weekly.

Contact Information                                                                     

Housing Assistance Payment,
Housing and Community Directorate,
City Hall, Anglesea Street, Cork.
Phone: 021 4924296 or 021 4924236
Fax: 021 4924356